Monday, September 21, 2009

Kim's cake





My wonderful friend, Kim Ficaro has a birthday today.

one of Kim Ficaro's masterpieces

She is without a doubt, one of the most creative people I know, who transforms the ordinary into utter beauty.

She helped style and art direct my book, and I love seeing her work in food, design, and home magazine, catalogs, and newspapers. She uses flowers, found objects, and beautiful fabrics to make stunning arrangements. She also uses many textiles for tablecloths, or for accenting a plate of food. For her birthday cake, I thought about using an idea based in textiles.

I am designing a wedding cake for a textile designer named Libby (libbymarie.com) whose polka dot print is becoming a subconscious obsession of mine. I thought for the cake it would be fun to try and get a graphic, fabric inspired feel with painted polka dots.


Libby's hand printed textiles.
I love the loose and whimsical outlines on the polka dots, as well as the watercolor feel.
I used chocolate powder mixed with espresso for the brown "paint" and the cake has a base of espresso whipped buttercream. The fuchsia outline is vanilla buttercream, and I found a way to incorporate my edible gold sequins. The kids ate some of the circle gold ones, so I didnt have as many as I wished, but feel like it gives the cake a bit more glitz.


A perfect little cake for the small gathering tonight.
Happy Birthday Kim! Thank you for making the world a little bit more beautiful each day.
xo

4 comments:

  1. love love love.
    missing you and obsessed with following your famous-ness. nyt...wow! we need a visit SOON. xoxoxo kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the base color of the cake. If u dont mind can u share the trick please

    ReplyDelete
  3. gush: sarah thanks for sharing your process, from inspiration to inspired cake. it is so fun to hear the story of where your conceive the brilliant baked goods---collecting from the inspiration of other people's lives, esp.

    this cake is precious, funky, and oh so fun. love it

    ReplyDelete