Monday, August 3, 2009

cookie paper doll



The final masterpiece 

I like to think of sweets as a medium for making things, rather than just food. Sometimes its easy to be discouraged to make something homeade as a gift, for fear that it will be rejected as "homeade", but thinking about the humble sugar cookie as a metaphor for a piece of blank paper is a great place to start creating things.

The upcoming birthday of my wonderful sister-in-law Sarah inspired the idea for a sugar cookie paper doll. She works in fashion and has fantastic taste, plus she travels to Europe to visit showrooms of some of my favorites such as Marni and Dries van Noten. As an homage to her love for beautiful clothes and things, I thought a cookie paper doll would make a great birthday present. 
 
 


I started by rolling a squarish shape out of sugar cookie dough, and cutting freehand with a sharp knife the shapes I envision.
 


After baking the dough, I made royal icing to pipe some dimension. I wanted to make the Sarah doll in a Prada-ish slip, a dress (inspired by her Roland Mouret one she wore on a visit), a Marni necklace, a 10 Corso Como shopping bag, a bottle of Veuve, a giant birthday cake slice, and some hearts floating around.




detail of the 10 Corso Como bag and cake





the Brian Atwood inspired shoes

the Veuve Cliquot bottle

I love this idea and can see using it for other kinds of friends, could be even funny for cats or dogs. Anyone who is a smart cookie of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment