Saturday, November 21, 2009

Homemade Peppermint Patties


I have been freelancing designing jewelry for a big fashion company, and every afternoon around 3 we make a run downstairs at the deli next door for some pick-me-up treats. Although I bring some healthy snacks from home, sometimes life calls for candy...and my personal favorite is York Peppermint Patties. The combination of minty, melt-in-your-mouth, and chocolate always gives me the candy/sugar rush I need to get back to designing.



After a few weeks of admitting my peppermint patty addiction, I decided that it was time to make my own and better control the ingredients in it. (And to make enough of a stash for me and my co-workers for finishing up the collection.) I researched a few recipes to create my own version, and found a terrific place to start in David Leibovitz's The Perfect Scoop. (An ice cream book that is one of my favorites).



*note..I only took pics up to the drying out phase, because after I made the first patty I was in a trance to eat them all up and forgot. They do look like the real thing once made.
The trick with these is to make sure you roll them super thin, and when they air-dry to make sure you flip them once or twice so that both sides of the patty get a crust. When you see how easy it is to make these, you will never buy them again! They also are perfect for chopping up and sprinkling on top of a cupcake for a holiday type mood, or layering in a cake.

Homemade Peppermint Patties

2 cups sifted organic powdered sugar
3 tablespoons organic light corn syrup (Whole Foods has a private label brand made with non GMO corn)
2 teaspoons water
1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil or extract
8 ounces bittersweet, or 70% dark chocolate, such as organic Green & Black
extra powdered sugar for dusting

1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar.
2. In a medium sized bowl, add corn syrup, water, and peppermint oil.
3. Slowly add powdered sugar, stirring until it is mixed, then using your hands, knead it into a ball. It will be coming apart at first, but with some firm kneading, it will soften and turn into a minty ball.
4.Using a rolling pin that has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar, place the ball on one of the sheets lined with sugar. Roll dough, making sure to add a sprinkle of sugar here and there so nothing sticks, until it is 1/4" thin, or even thinner. (Remember After 8 mints???? you could go there)
5. Using a small round cutter dusted with powdered sugar so it does not stick, cut out rounds in the dough and place rounds on second baking sheet.
6. Once all rounds have been cut, they need to air dry so the patties get a hard crust, about 4 hours. You could leave them over night as well.
7. To dip in the chocolate, set up a wire rack over a piece of parchment paper. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler by placing small chopped pieces in a bowl over a pot of boiling water...or use your microwave in 20-30 second bursts, stirring frequently.
8. Using a fork, place a patty on top and dip in the chocolate, or use two clean fingers to wipe each side with chocolate, then place on the wire rack.
9. Place wire rack in refrigerator to let set, about 5 minutes.
10. Keep cool and well wrapped, we had the whole batch in our house for less than 2 days, they were that good!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sarah!! My dad is going to love these... I'm still in the middle of preparing them, but they're already so cute! Thanks again for throwing this up in time for the holiday. Also making one of your pie crust recipes for our pumpkin pie....

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE fan of peppermint patties and your thin mints. love your book, great and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't related to this post, but I just wanted to say that I just found your blog and I love your cakes and other sweets. I happened upon your site because I am looking for wedding cake inspiration since my sister (who is currently in school to be a pastry chef) is making my cake and when I found a pastry chef with our last name I couldn't resist checking out your cakes! I'll have to buy my sister your book so she can get some inspiration from another Magid pastry chef.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear sarah:
    i love this recipe! thank you so much for sharing. i have one minor modification, and that is: once the patties are dipped, lay on parchment paper, rather than a drying rack. the ones we layed on a drying rack got...stuck and the parchment batch came out silky smooth.

    such a holiday delight! (and an all year round delight!)

    thanks thanks thanks for the inspiration!
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your recipe of patties thanks for share this with us :)fashion n'd style

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful post
    keep postings like this
    i think for more information you should go to Avast Bellen

    ReplyDelete