Thursday, February 19, 2009

Green with happiness



I am finishing up the flowers for a wedding cake this weekend in NYC. This decoration has been quite popular as this is the third wedding cake this month I've done using this color flowers. I designed the cake above for the Fall 2008 issue of the Knot, and they took such a beautiful shot.
If you look, there are two subtle tones of green flowers for the cake.




There used to be a saying when I designed shoes, that no one ever buys green. (This was for dressier shoes, not sneakers). Merchandisers and salesman said that the color never went with any clothing, that no one makes a good color green leather, and that its just the way things are--green never sells.
When I saw Michelle Obama wearing green pumps at the Inauguration, along with the recent shoes on the runway for Fall '09, I cant help but feel happy that change is spreading to these little rules too.



This cake reminds me that if you take a color that can be done really wrong, but play with it to get the right tone, it can end up quite refreshing to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment